In my last blog, I shared with you that “You are your children’s role model”; today, we are going to discuss about you being the guiding force for your children.
When you focus on something and set an intention for that focus, you are literally putting your thoughts, energy and attention directly onto this specific outcome you desire. The outcome will potentially become a reality.
So now that you understand this, let’s look at how your actions will impact your children – through your behaviour, energy and words.
Let’s look at a few examples:
- If you dislike fish, you express your dislike strongly and how disgusted it smells; your children may feel indifferent or may really like fish dishes at that time, but through your judgement of fish, they make take on your point of view and decided fish dishes are not for them too.
When you are upset with your children, you reacted to their “bad behaviour” by scolding and yelling. Let’s think about it, what are you modeling to your child? – Yelling at someone when dealing with an unpleasant situation is OK?On the other hand, if you are upset with your child’s behaviour, but you display consciousness of your child’s outburst, you can empathise with his or her emotions, and work through it in a calm manner.This is what your child will learn – through calm and empathy; this is how your child will model this behaviour to solve any unpleasant issues that arise in their lives.
You can reverse that by taking some action and the the opportunity to redeem yourself, and so learn from the lesson. This way, your children will learn that they are responsible for their actions and emotions and know how to deal with them.
- Do you blame your child for making you upset? If so, you are modeling a victim mindset to your children, where you don’t take responsibility for your own emotions or actions and blame others instead. So you child will learn that blaming others for one’s emotional state is the norm, and if they encounter any drama in their lives, it is always other people’s faults and not theirs.
From the examples above, can you see that your own thoughts, your own actions and reactions, your perceptions and your behaviour are powerful? They have the power to influence your children’s mindset and potentially their future.
- make the time to empathise what they are going through
- be conscious about your thoughts, actions and the words that you use
- model the values that you would like to instill in them.
Remember, you are your children’s guiding force. Choose CONSCIOUSNESS!