How many of you have actually made an effort to spend quality time with your spouse/partner every week?
Making time to connect as a couple whether you are husband or wife, in a relationship or just getting to know each other, has many benefits:
- strengthens the bond between you and your partner
- opens up communication and can create a deeper level of understanding of your partner
- Provides opportunities to discuss personal issues, issues about work as well as family, thus your partner feels heard and supported.
How to create the opportunity to connect?
To connect with your partner does not have to be an expensive exercise, nor do you feel that you have to fly half way round the world to get to know your spouse.
Below are a few suggestions that you can apply to connect with your partner everyday:
- Have breakfast together 15 minutes before the kids get up.
- When you are home early from work, how about helping out in the kitchen.
- Share stories about your day.
- Go out for a stroll on the weekends.
- Pick your spouse up from work once a week – this is a great opportunity to catch up in the car.
- Make a ten-minute phone call during lunch time.
- Watch a TV program together – something that both of you like and use the opportunity to discuss its content, issues etc. This will enable both of you to use this opportunity to voice your opinion, your thoughts and values.
- Make a date – a local restaurant that you used to go before the kids – a place where both of you can re-connect to your “old-self”.
Please comment and share below if you would like to add more examples to the list.
Have a connected day with your family.