CELEBRATE AUSTRALIA DAY FLAG QUIZ
Test your knowledge about our flag!
Quiz prepared by Australiana Flags www.australianflag.org.au
- Following federation in 1901 the new Commonwealth Government held an open competition calling for public input into the design of a flag. Who provided the prize money for the “flag design competition”?
- A tobacco company
- The Commonwealth Government
- A literary journal
- All of the above
2. The opportunity to design a new flag for the new nation of Australia really captured the public imagination. In proportion with Australia’s population now, how many entries would be needed to replicate the 1901 response?
3. The designs submitted featured ““every kind of flora and fauna identifiable with Australia – sometimes all at once”. Which of the following were not included on the would-be flags entered in the competition?
- A kangaroo leaping through the constellation of the Southern Cross
- Native animals playing cricket with a winged cricket ball
- A platypus with six babies representing the six Australian states
- A fat kangaroo aiming a gun at the Southern Cross
4. Five people tied for the honour of designing our flag, and they shared in the 200 pound prize money (which was a substantial sum in 1901, described as equivalent to the annual wage for an average worker). Match the description with the name of the winner below –
- Ivor Evans
- Annie Dorrington
- Leslie Hawkins
- Egbert Nuttall
- William Stevens
- First Officer with Union Steamship Company of NZ
- Teenage optician’s apprentice from Leichhardt in NSW
- 14 year old schoolboy from Melbourne
- Well-known artist from Perth
- Architect with the Melbourne & Metropolitan Board of Works
5. The Southern Cross featured of the flag is a constellation that can only be seen in the night skies of the Southern hemisphere, and it also gives acknowledgement to aboriginal Australians because it is so prominent in their mythology. What is the name given to each of the starts in the Southern Cross?
6. Australian National Flag Day marks the flag’s birthday. It was proclaimed by the Governor-General in 1996 to ‘commemorate the day in 1901 on which the Australian national flag was first flown’. What day each year do we celebrate ‘Flag Day’?
7. Which famous Australian wrote the words:
“And with Australia’s flag shall fly A spray of wattle bough To symbolise our unity – We’re all Australians now”
- Dorothea Mackellar
- Sir Robert Menzies
- “Banjo” Paterson
- Rupert McCall
FLAG QUIZ – for more information go to www.australianflag.org.au