We have learned about the history of Australia Day. We know about the Australian Flag (above), and many know how many stars are on the flag.
But how much do you really know about the Australian States and our national/state symbols?
If not, you are not alone. I have some fun stuff so you and your kids can have some fun with while getting to know about the symbols for each state. As you know, children learn through fun, so lets connect through fun, while instilling the love of learning. This is a great opportunity to get your kids to really have fun, colouring-in, learning about the names of the animals, flowers etc.
Australia Day – Sunday 26th of January will be fun day to spend with your family, maybe exploring the city and experiencing the celebration together. However before the event, it would be fun to empower your kids with the history about this special day, so that they will be experiencing the event with their "eyes wide open". You can pass on the enthusiasm and the knowledge to appreciate what the celebration is all about.
OK, here's some fun activities to share together:
These activities are contributed by Australia Day in Sydney http://www.australiaday.com.au/get-involved/activities-kids/#.Ut4FybRxWUn
- Australian States and Territory Flags?
- Australian States and Territory Animals?
- Australia State Floral Emblems?
- About the Australian National Flag
- How to make the Australian National Flag
- Who was the writer and composer of Australia’s national anthem?
- Have a go at the puzzles about the States & Territories- cut out each state and connect together.
- Follow the links above, which will lead to individual web-pages
- Print and colour
- Read aloud the history of Australia day – how did January 26th became a National day for Australia? And learn who was the composer and author of the Australian National Anthem.
- Learn about the NAMES of the flowers – older kids can learn how to spell, write and pronounce the names
- Puzzle – cut out each state and assemble them – learn about the size/the shape and location of each state
Have fun on Australia Day.Go out and celebrate and create memories together with your family.
Happy Australia Day!
Remember: Children learn through fun and the best way to connect with your children is through interacting together while having fun at the same time, while at the same time instilling the love of learning.
Let's share Australia Day celebration with Mr. John Vaughan, owner and founder of Australiana Flags.
Understading of what Australia Day is….